Industry news

Just 1.6 per cent of Ranger buyers in Australia opted for three pedals last year, according to Ford. Now, Australia’s second best-selling ute has gone automatic only.


Every previous iteration of the nameplate has been offered with a three-pedal layout since its inception in 1982.

However, according to Ford just 1.6 per cent of buyers were opting for the manual by 2021 – leaving 98.4 per cent in an automatic.



A spokesperson for the marque in Australia told Drive: “With sales volume so low, the decision was taken to remove the manual from [the] next-generation Ranger.”

A six-speed automatic is now standard with the entry-level 2.0-litre single-turbo diesel four-cylinder, while a 10-speed automatic is fitted to the 2.0-litre twin-turbo four-cylinder and 3.0-litre V6 diesels, the latter pair featuring electronic shift levers.

Pricing is yet to be confirmed for Australia, however you can read full local specifications for the 2023 Ford Ranger line-up by clicking here.



The prevalence of manual gearboxes has fallen dramatically in recent years, due to buyers’ preference for their ease of use – plus the improved dynamics and efficiency of torque converter and dual-clutch transmissions.

Last year an estimated five per cent of new cars sold in Australia had a manual, down from approximately 30 per cent in 2001.

You can view all the new cars still available in Australia with a manual transmission by clicking here.



William Davis

William Davis has written for Drive since July 2020, covering news and current affairs in the automotive industry. He has maintained a primary focus on industry trends, autonomous technology, electric vehicle regulations, and local environmental policy. As the newest addition to the Drive team, William was brought onboard for his attention to detail, writing skills, and strong work ethic. Despite writing for a diverse range of outlets – including the Australian Financial Review, Robb Report, and Property Observer – since completing his media degree at Macquarie University, William has always had a passion for cars.

Read more about William Davis

Posted by WordPress Guru